• Our Company

The company was formed in 1951 when 45 independent pharmacists in Sheffield joined to provide a late night and out of hours service to the people of Sheffield. Associated Chemists opened at 61 Wicker in January 1952 and was the first example of a "consortium owned pharmacy". The pharmacy has been open every day since.

The idea of an Associated Chemist was the masterplan of Cyril Hobson and Len Stocks, both Sheffield pharmacists. They realised that the pharmacy service in the evenings and weekends was not fully meeting the requirements of the public. Before 1952 the people of Sheffield had to rely on the good offices of resident pharmacists to provide an "after hours" service. Their simple solution was to develop a pharmacy which, at the time, was unique "a pharmacy financed, instigated and developed by a community of private chemists for the public service." A theoretical solution is one thing, but Cyril and Len went one step further. They "sold" the idea to over 40 Sheffield pharmacists and within days had raised sufficient to purchase the property on the Wicker and fund the necessary conversion work.

Associated Chemists (Wicker) Ltd has continued to develop over the years. Professional development has always been at the forefront of their agenda and they were one of the first pharmacies to introduce computer labelling (1978) and patient information leaflets.

In 1979 the pharmacy expanded to include numbers 63 and 65. The dispensary was updated to include the latest technology - the pharmatriever - a rotating set of shelves which allowed easy access to medicines.

In 1985 the pharmacy found that they didn't have enough space to stock the wheelchairs and equipment for people with disabilities they were selling and so Wicker Mobility Shop was formed.

More recently the company has made significant investment in computerisation and has developed a Medicine-on-Time centre which provides help to patients in the community who are experiencing difficulties managing their medication.

In 2004 it was all change as plans for the ring road which had been doing the rounds for about 25 years (we kept track!) came to fruition and we received a compulsory purchase order for the end-section of our building to be knocked down and replaced with a dual carriageway! This meant a re-think of things along the Wicker! It was decided to relocate the pharmacy into the old Midland Bank building next door. A state-of-the art pharmacy was developed including a robotic dispenser and on Monday 15th November 2004 Wicker Pharmacy opened in it's new premises. The old premises were then converted into the new home of the mobility department.

In 2006 the company was awarded the Chemist and Druggest Platinum Design Award for the best designed pharmacy 2004-2006.

Associated Chemists is still owned by Sheffield pharmacists and continues to provide central pharmaceutical services to the people of Sheffield.

Our aim is to provide:

  • An extended hours pharmaceutical service.
  • Products and advice relating to minor ailments and the maintenance of good health.
  • Products and advice relating to mobility and rehabilitation equipment.
  • A co-ordinated role for Sheffield-wide specialist pharmacy services.

This is a major contribution to healthcare in Sheffield. We intend to continue to develop services making full use of our staff's expert knowledge so as to meet public demand and government policy in order for customers to gain maximum benefit from the use of the products and services that we sell or supply.

Copyright © 2009 Wicker Pharmacy. All rights reserved. E&OE.